Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Lost Art of the Movie Poster

One of the many, many things I like to whinge about is the art of the movie poster. I think teaser posters tend to be vastly more interesting because they're more psychological and subtle. For example...is a great poster. Simple, deliciously creepy, gets a lot of the movie in a single eerie image. Whereas, in my mind, this...

leaves me kind of cold. There's too much going, it's somewhat in elegant and...I don't know. I'm a snob, I guess, but I have kind of a problem with posters using photographs of people...even photography in general, sometimes. I'm a fan of bold, clean, simple graphics for movies that can double as art.

Which is why I highly enjoyed this posting featuring 25 re-imagined movie posters that are entirely graphic. No photos! All art! I would hang any of these on my wall. Here is my favorite of the bunch...

So. Cool. And yes, I did use a 'Dark Knight' poster at the beginning of this post to illustrate a 'good' poster, I still think that this is a really awesome alternative. They both achieve different things, I just wish we saw more of the second!

No comments:

Post a Comment